Maxillofacial Gunshot and Blast Injuries Seen in a Tertiary Military Hospital
Objective: To describe the incidence, pattern, and severity of maxillofacial trauma among patients who sustained gunshot and blast injuries of the maxillofacial region in a tertiary military hospital.
Design: Retrospective Case Series
Setting: Tertiary Military General Hospital
Participants: All patients admitted under the otorhinolaryngology service with
gunshot and blast injuries to the face
Results: A total of 108 patients were admitted due to gunshot and blast injuries to the face from January 2010 to December 2015. Most sustained gunshot injuries (73, 67.6%) compared to blast injuries (35, 32.4%). Of 108 patients, 71 had maxillofacial fractures (65.7%) while the remaining 37 only had soft tissue injuries (34.3%). Majority of those with maxillofacial fractures had single bone involvement (52, 72.2%); the rest had two or more bones affected (19, 27.8%) The most common bone injured was the mandible (77.5%), followed by the maxilla (35.2%), zygoma (12.7%), and others (frontal, nasal, and temporal bones) at 5.6%.
Conclusion: Gunshot injuries had a higher incidence than blast injuries among military personnel with projectile injuries to the face seen during the study period. There were more fractures and combinations of fractured bones affected in gunshot injuries, although the breakdown of soft tissue injuries was similar among those with gunshot and blast injuries. However, the relation of injury patterns and severity to gunshot or blast etiology, or to other factors such as protective gear, cannot be established in this present study.
Keywords: gunshot injuries; blast injuries; maxillofacial; projectile
Copyright (c) 2019 Publisher
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright transfer (all authors; where the work is not protected by a copyright act e.g. US federal employment at the time of manuscript preparation, and there is no copyright of which ownership can be transferred, a separate statement is hereby submitted by each concerned author). In consideration of the action taken by the Philippine Journal of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery in reviewing and editing this manuscript, I hereby assign, transfer and convey all rights, title and interest in the work, including copyright ownership, to the Philippine Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Inc. (PSOHNS) in the event that this work is published by the PSOHNS. In making this assignment of ownership, I understand that all accepted manuscripts become the permanent property of the PSOHNS and may not be published elsewhere without written permission from the PSOHNS unless shared under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) license.